History :  

Alice Cottage was purchased in 1884 by Jonathan Skerry Harrison (Master Mariner and Ship Owner) and his wife, Sarah. At that time he was 30 years old and on his death he left the property to his son Ernest Harrison and daughter Annie Edith Mills (nee Harrison).


As Ernest was away at sea a great deal, he asked his sister to buy him out and for many years the cottage was let to a permanent resident.


In 1960, when Annie Edith was 80 years old, she decided to sell it to one of her seven children. Alice Russell Millidge (nee Mills) was living in Surrey at the time and bought it from her mother to use for holidays in Robin Hood’s Bay for her own family.


On Alice’s death in 1988 she left the cottage to her daughter Rosemary King so that it could be enjoyed by her and her family. Alice’s son, Bernard, had no children and the intention was that the cottage would be passed down to further generations.


In 1992 Rosemary put the cottage in trust for her children and now runs it on their behalf as a holiday home for others to enjoy.

 

The Mills family have a long history in Robin Hood’s Bay with Captain Isaac Mills having given The Fish in the dock to the village, and his son, Captain John William Mills (Annie Edith’s husband) having received the OBE in 1942 for services to his country during the last war.
  
 

Jonathan Skerry Harrison
A Master Mariner and Ship Owner


At the Palace
             collecting an O.B.E.
 The Bay Fish
RNLI collecting box
 
           
 

Pictured here are Captain John William Mills receiving his OBE at Buckingham Palace with his wife Annie Edith and daughter Marjorie from King George VI.

He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to the Country during the Second World war.

Listed in the London Gazette Honours List Supplement of 11th June 1942 as 'Captain John William Mills, Senior Marine Superintendent, Turnbull Scott and Company'.

Annie Edith Mills was the only daughter of Jonathan Skerry Harrison.

John William Mills was the younger Son of Captain Isaac Mills and his wife Alice.

 

The fish is believed to have been cast by Batts Iron Foundry (also know as Huttons Works) at Whitby. It was presented to the village by local ship Owner Captain Isaac Mills and his wife Alice in ~ 1886.

The cast iron fish is modelled on a cod standing on it's tail with a slot in its mouth for money. It is made of cast iron, weighs just over 110 kilos and stands about 1.2 metres tall

It stands at the top of the slipway outside the National Trust Coastal Centre.